Thursday, June 4, 2015

What I Learned From My Capsule Wardrobe

Happy Thursday!! Like I said yesterday, today is the last day of my one-month-spur-of-the-moment capsule wardrobe. I do hope to do another one, but not until after July. Anyway, let's get to the point of this post:


what I learned from my capsule wardrobe

1. I learned that clothes are material, and, in reality, they really don't matter that much

2. I have a whole big ton of clothes
As I was putting my capsule clothes back into the regular part of my closet, I realized how many clothes I have. For some reason, before the capsule, I was sort of blinded and didn't really see all that I do have. There are about four pieces in my closet that still have tags on them. If that doesn't prove my point, I don't know what does.

3. And I'll say it again: I have plenty of clothes and really don't need to buy too many more

4. Clothes and shopping don't satisfy and never will
As I was reading my Bible the other day, I came across this verse and it really spoke to me. Isaiah 55:2 says, "Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what doesn't satisfy." It is so true, and I knew that I had to share it with y'all because only God can satisfy. We can try to fill our God-shaped void with other, lesser, things, but THEY WILL NEVER SATISFY.

Another verse that spoke to me during this journey was Jonah 2:8. It says, "Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs." It hit me like a rock. When we decide to spend our energy on material things, we forfeit our chance to be the person who God has created us to be. I am so thankful that my precious Savoir offers me unrelenting grace and mercy. And when it says "worthless idols", it doesn't necessarily have to mean clothes. An idol is anything that you put before God.

5. I learned that accessories can make or break an outfit

6. I learned that it is shallow and stupid to worry about what people will think
Case in point: On one Wednesday night, I wore a chevron blouse with jeans and a green necklace. Then on Saturday, my family gifted me some jewelry, and I wanted to wear it, but the only top that I could wear it with was that same blouse. After thinking about it a bit, I realized that it really wasn't that big of a deal. I could wear whatever I wanted because chances are, nobody probably remembered what I wore anyway. And should they? Doesn't Jesus tell us in Matthew 6 not to worry about clothes?

7. Lastly, I learned that if I was to ever do a capsule wardrobe again, I should include a few more items
20 items in 30 days was too little. It was great that I tried to stretch myself, but it just wasn't practical. I'd probably try 25 in 30 days next time. It wasn't that I ran out of outfits for regular days, I ran out of church outfits, and I felt like I was wearing the same thing over and over again. Having my closet back is going to give me so much more creative license.

All in all, I feel that this God-inspired capsule has helped me to be more content, generous, punctual for engagements since I only have a select few pieces to choose from to wear, and it has really grown me in the fashion and style department. I now feel like I have more knowledge on fashion and style related things.

Thank you God for supporting me and pulling me along through this journey. You are King and Creator, but you are also Friend and Helper.

Thanks for stopping by and listening to my rambles. Have a great rest of your Thursday!
Garay Treasures
also linking up at Thursday Fashion Files

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Do you have something to say?